On Monday 21 Jul 2003 8:54 pm, JoeHill wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 18:47:37 +0100
>
> Graham Watkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:
> > According to Roger Scruton, whose lectures I attended many years ago,
> > a corporation has the status of a person in law.  This strikes me as
> > unfortunate as a corporation, while possessing similar appetites,
> > lacks many of the moral characteristics of a person - occasional
> > inclinations towards altruism, any sense of fairness - above all, it
> > completely lacks a sense of shame. It can, however, afford more and
> > better legal help than the average regular person.
>
> Give that man a CIGAR!
>
> If the corporation is protected by the law, it is *bound* by it, ie. it
> kills, it is charged with murder and the company officers go to *jail*.
>
> If they pollute, they are charged with criminal negligence and the
> corporate officers go to *jail*.
>
> If they steal millions from honest shareholders and pensioners, the
> company  officers go to *jail*.

And yet when millions of punters swap, copy and give away legitimate works
protected by copyright it isn't seen as theft at all.

I'm prepared to get as excitable as the next person about excessive profits
and ripping off punters.  There is a legitimate argument to be made from
economics that when the prices are too high there is something rotten
somewhere.

HOWEVER, the fact remains that too many people have been getting on some very
high horses having somehow levitated themselves into the saddle.  They sure
didn't climb there step by logical step.  Breach of copyright is theft.  The
Millenium Act isn't the answer but then again two wrongs never did make a
right eh?

regards

Daryl
--
A real patriot is the fellow who gets a parking ticket and rejoices
that the system works.