> Here we go again.  Never been able to get Java plugin installed.
> Tried again a few months ago, and again yesterday on the clock applet
> link.  Although the blurb says downloading takes 19 minutes on a 56
> kilobaud modem, in reality it takes well over an hour, $2 worth of
> connect time at best, $6 at worst.  At the end of that hour it
> blithely informs me that download was unsuccessful - error 202.  What
> the hell is error 202?  And is there a chance that the file could be
> cached somewhere?

Don't know about error 202.

As for not getting it to work, did you read thru the deep and confusing
notes about which plugin you need?

It's all new stuff since just a month or so ago, so i haven not yet
installed this stuff. (i am still at the jre 1.4.1 level).

So now you are left with the 2 versions based on gcc#, which you can
check by typing about:buildconfig into your mozilla. It looks as though
they both get installed, and you just have to link to the proper one.

There is an rpm for java's jre 1.4.2

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html

Here's a couple pages on the random walk you go thru to figure out what
to install:

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html#Java    says:

"NOTE: Mozilla 1.4RC2 and later are built with gcc 3.2.3. You will need
to use the gcc3 build of the Java Plugin with Mozilla 1.4RC2 or later."

http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/javalinux.html      says:

If you're not familiar with symbolic linking, permissions and all, there
are 2 ways you can do this.

    * Log in as root, and use the following command at a console,
replacing [Mozilla Installation Directory] with the appropriate value
for your installation (eg. /usr/local/mozilla): ln -s
/usr/java/j2re1.4.2/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so [Mozilla
Installation Directory]/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

    * Create ~/.mozilla/plugins if it doesn't exist. Then use the
following command at a console: ln -s
/usr/java/j2re1.4.2/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so
~/.mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

"NOTE: If you are using a gcc3 build of Mozilla (such as Mozilla 1.4 or
Netscape 7.1), use the plugin in the ns610-gcc32 directory, not the
ns610 directory. To check which compiler was used to build Mozilla, see
about:buildconfig (Mozilla 1.4a or later)."

Not sure if this helps you or not, but at least now *I* know why
mozilla-firebrd handles jave for me and mozilla doesn't !

eric