> > well ... as it seems my initial impressions of 9.2 are far less than I
> > had hoped for :-( ... I'm thinking I might not install it just yet on my
> > computer ... and stick to 9.1 yet :-( ... actually I was so dissapointed
> > by the sound card frustration that I considered going back to windows
> > ... or searching for other hopefully smarter distros (low chance of
> > anybody autodetecting more than Mandrake, right ... maybe SuSe) ... in
> > other words .. evil thoughts ... please don't let me fall to the demons
> > :)
I've taken a very fast look to the suse 8.2 and I think it's very very nice
but I tried only the live cd. Maybe you will not like the idea but I suggest
Slackware. They say it's complicated and it's not for newbies... well, I
started using it when i was still a newbie (maybe i still am ^_^) but now I'm
literally in love with it. You have to work hard and learn a lot but if
reading lots of howtos does not scare you, once you have learnt and try do
setup something in slackware you are sure it works. And, in a week of
slackware I learnt much more than 1 year and half of mandrake. I still love
Mandrake, I still install it on my sister's computer and if someone new to
linux asks me what to use I have always the Mandrake cds ready to be
borrowed, but I think it's a distro that works great at the beginning but
sooner or later you want to learn to do things by your own hands... otherwise
you would not be using linux ^_^