> I hear this argument all the time that Mandrake is great for newbies but
> once you have more experience, you'll want <insert distro here>.  As far
> as I can tell, there is nothing in Mandrake that keeps someone from
> delving deeper into the workings of Linux.  It is true that Mandrake has
> a lot of GUI tools and wizards, but the cli is still there.  Out of
> curiousity, what exactly can you do in slackware by hand that you can't
> do in Mandrake by hand?
>
> Joeb

Hello Joeb
I know that Mandrake is still linux just like Slackware but the reason why I
use Slack now is that turning a Mandrake box into a "clean and fast" box
takes more time than setting up everything by hand.
And as far as I have seen Mandrake is much less stable than Slackware. On my
sister's computer konqueror crashes sometimes, some other programs crash too
and the same sometimes used to happen on my computer when I still used
Mandrake. Since Slackware is on my box crashes happen much much more seldom
(I don't know why, but I use binaries most of the times even on Slack so I
don't think it's a question of compiling).
As I told you when I passed to Slack I was still a newbie (and I wanted my box
to work faster and little problems like the ones I had with my audio card to
disappear) so I don't know what is different between the two distros but
Slack runs much faster and all the little daily problems I had with Mandrake
are gone. I tried to get back to Mandrake, really... I just thought that now
that I have learned I could take something like Mandrake (with all those GUI
that I still love) and make it run as well as Slackware... well it's not like
that. I don't exactly know what is different but what I see is that Slack is
much faster, even more stable than Mandrake and doesn't have many little
problems that I had with Mandrake (now I can record voice messages, now my
exit sound of kde is completely played before X shuts down, now reboot works
while with mandrake it never did... and there are many others of these very
unimportant problems that are unimportant but that on Mandrake I could not
solve). So I cannot exactly answer to your question, I just talk out of
practice.
Anyway ^___^ please I don't want anyone to think that I don't like Mandrake,
as I wrote it's still the distribution that I suggest to everyone who wants
to discover Linux and I am aware that without Mandrake I would have never
been able to discover this world myself.

Beppe