On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 17:56:16 +0200
Beppe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> > I hear this argument all the time that Mandrake is great for newbies
> > but once you have more experience, you'll want <insert distro here>.
> >  As far
> > as I can tell, there is nothing in Mandrake that keeps someone from
> > delving deeper into the workings of Linux.  It is true that Mandrake
> > has a lot of GUI tools and wizards, but the cli is still there.  Out
> > of curiousity, what exactly can you do in slackware by hand that you
> > can't do in Mandrake by hand?
> >
> > Joeb
>
> Hello Joeb
<big snip>

Most of what you just pointed out was either nothing to do with Mandrake
but with KDE, or so unspecific as to not be of much value.

I think what it comes down to is, like you said, an experience, and
experience is subjective. As Joeb said, it's the same Linux.

My install of Mandrake 9.1 has never crashed once, but then again I
don't use what I personally see as garbage, KDE, again, personal
subjective experience, but there you go. No app has "crashed" *ever*
except for verrrrrry beta stuff like the just released beta of MOHAA.
Some stuff has locked up on me before, but I just kill it and restart
it, and again, that's very beta or even alpha code I'm playing with.

Now, about the sound issue...I would be very interested to know how
Slackware handles sound differently than Mandrake or any other distro,
or how you are able to make the sound work better with "lower level"
fiddling in Slackware.

--
HaywireMac
Registered Linux user #282046