On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 18:10:42 +0200
Benjamin Pflugmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> This is in reference to statements from Linus Torvalds such as:
> (taken from: http://lwn.net/2002/0425/a/ideology-sucks.php3)
>
>   Quite frankly, I don't _want_ people using Linux for ideological
>   reasons.  I think ideology sucks. This world would be a much better
>   place if people had less ideology, and a whole lot more "I do this
>   because it's FUN and because others might find it useful, not
>   because I got religion".
>
> So the statement above doesn't mean that Linus Torvalds hasn't done a
> a lot for the free software community. It just means, that he didn't
> do it with ideology as his primary motive. Linux wasn't created
> because he wanted to replace something, but because he thought it was
> fun to do.
>
> In contrast, GNU software has been created purely for ideologic
> reasons. Already the name GNU (GNU's Not Unix) gives it away: it was
> set out to be a replacement for the proprietary Unixes.

Reminds me of the old Wobblie song, "which side are you on...?"

I see his point about ideology, but there's a difference between
ideology and *philosophy*, which I think describes the GNU project more
accurately than "ideology".

--
HaywireMac
Registered Linux user #282046