On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 17:43:27 +0200
Benjamin Pflugmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> uttered:

> Just to clarify. RMS does not want the Linux kernel name to have any
> "GNU" extension. What RMS wants is that Linux based *distributions*
> and anyone referring to such Linux based distributions by the label
> "Linux" uses "GNU/Linux" instead, in order to give proper credits to
> GNU's part of such a distro.
>
> If you are interested in more details, you can read the FSF side of
> the story here (warning: it is heavily biased by idiology):
>
>   http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html#why

Hmmm, I can see his point. The kernel is all Linus' work, sure, but as
it says here:

"Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the
machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an
essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can
only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in a combination with the GNU operating system: the whole
system is basically GNU, with Linux functioning as its kernel."

Source:

http://www.gnu.org/gnu/linux-and-gnu.html

I guess this is why Debian refers to itself as "Debian GNU/Linux". This
is one reason I have always had a sentimental desire to at least make a
serious effort at trying Debian, is the absolute commitment to
non-commercial code (distinctions between free-as-in-speech and
free-as-in-beer acknowledged).

Does anyone know what Linus' response or argument to this is?

--
HaywireMac
Registered Linux user #282046