On Sunday 21 September 2003 06:03 am, Richard Urwin wrote:
> On Sunday 21 Sep 2003 8:49 am, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Yank, man pages are great once you have a bit of experience under the
> > belt.  For a true newbie, many ar totally inpenetrable.
>
> Agreed, but I'm not a newbie and IME, man pages are almost useless for
> "how do I do x." apropos doesn't work because the man pages call it y.
> If someone tells me "use the abc command" then I can use man to find
> out how it works.

hence the end of my e-mail "man -k". Have any one done their home work?
What got me going is some one asking how to uninstall lilo. This is a case
where you should go to lilo man page and see how it is done. By typing
"#man -k lilo" one can see what command it relates too. Unless we like to have
m$users we need to start using all tools provided by OS. Man is a grate tool
too start fooling around with out fear of screwing  up something. In my
opinion the order of trying to solve something in the *nix should be as
following:

1. HOWTO (tldp.org or build in)
2. man page
3. google.com
4. newbie list

If one will not try to figure out staff by him/herself we will have to switch
to m$ like OS where it is one way to do it and its full of holes because it
is more important to make it ease then to make it safe.

Sorry for an other runt but this is a subject I feel strong about.
Give man a fish and he can eat a day; teach man how to fish and he can eat for
life. <=> Tell man how to do it and he will do it; teach man how to resource
and he will nether go back to m$.

--
Yankl
Tiny IT guy.