On Wednesday 29 October 2003 01:36 pm, robin wrote:
> Bryan Phinney wrote:
>  If the user is not prepared to accept the responsibility,
>
> > they should wait for those who are.  Trying to stay on the
> > bleeding edge and expecting no problems is simply asinine and
> > stupid and there is no one capable of protecting someone from
> > their own stupidity.  Case in point, LG.

> Since when is a stable release "bleeding edge"?  Bleeding edge is
> Cooker. Bleeding edge is running alpha apps.  Bleeding edge is
> using a development kernel.

   The patch in question wasn't 'Bleeding edge' or experimental
(alpha). It simply enabled packet writing to CD drives. A feature
now disabled in the 'fix' (kernel 2.4.22-21mdk) already available,
and various floppy images soon coming.  A shame from my point of
view. M$ has long encouraged and supported sloppy non compliant
hardware (and irresponsible users).

   Now it seems even Linux users have to, or are willing to accept
this, and demand that their favorite distro does the same.  People
with junk fake-Cdroms are now safe, the rest of us have to do
without out of the box CD packet writing to accommodate the ones
who don't want to be bothered with knowing their hardware. That
think cheap junk non compliant hardware is just fine, an should be
protected by others. IOW's back-asswards