Tom Brinkman wrote:

Yes, packet writing is the only process that enables it.

There's more to it than just a patch for the Linux kernel. As the article states, it has to be supported by hardware also and does use the UDF file system. This project had been around quite a while. It's already a reality on windoze and most already drives do support it. Even older ones.

  Run 'cdrecord --checkdrive dev=0,0,0'  and if you see
TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R
.   ^^^^^^             (amend dev= to your CD drive)

Here is one of mine,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# cdrecord --checkdrive dev=1,1,0
Cdrecord 2.0 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2002 Jörg Schilling
scsidev: '1,1,0'
scsibus: 1 target: 1 lun: 0
Linux sg driver version: 3.1.24
Using libscg version 'schily-0.7'
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 0
Response Format: 1
Vendor_info : 'MITSUMI '
Identifikation : 'CR-48X9TE '
Revision : '1.0C'
Device seems to be: Philips CDD-522.
Using generic SCSI-3/mmc CD-R driver (mmc_cdr).
Driver flags : MMC-2 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE
Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96R

compare to yours: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R

Looks like mine is missing something.
I can track at once and disc at once, but packet write ?

in the output, your drive does. That return is from my nearly ancient Plextor 8432t. Looks like this effort has suffered a major setback for Linux users now. Damn shame, 'cause I still believe it's due to collusion by OEM ONLY's and M$, misinfomation and ignorance on the part of users. Any OS. Mandrake tried to get it introduced into a current Linux distro, now they're get'n their head bit off. Should be users rasin hell with Dell, Compaq, HP, etc. and Billy Goat. LG's just caught in the middle of those crooks. Search for the guilty, blame the innocent.

You know Tom, I don't think the likes of mandrake will be hurt by
this in the long run. All right so there is a bit of short term angst.
But already we now know of drive deficiencies in some models
armed with that knowledge you are far better empowered to
make good equipement decisions than if we had not been made
fully aware. I just think TWIKI needs to paint the situation in that light.
As the knowledge spreads people demand better of their suppliers.
It's basically ignorance that allows these slight of hand hardware
matters to prevail. By cutting out built in capability and resorting to software solutions , they may get an
initial sale but the user learns of the fraud eventually, and questions
why they need it that way. Of course the motive is profit and monoplistic
software practices. Getting the user stuck with one OS, narrowing
down choice of OS's etc etc. In the end the user gets pissed off
and goes else where, but they wont do that unless they become
empowered with the knowledge in the first place. So I
think it is better to bring it all out into the open. Just my view.

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]