On Wednesday 29 October 2003 02:39 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:
> >     Please excuse my own followup, I forgot to provide a very
> >pertinent link    http://packet-cd.sourceforge.net/
> >

> Tom, that was a very interesting article. I had always wondered
> why cdrecord and it's many gui front ends so seldom invited you
> to close partially written data discs, thereby leaving the rest
> of the unwritten disc free for more additions at a later time. If
> I understand this properly packet writing enables this process
> better.
>
> John

  Yes, packet writing is the only process that enables it.

  There's more to it than just a patch for the Linux kernel. As the
article states, it has to be supported by hardware also and does
use the UDF file system. This project had been around quite a
while. It's already a reality on windoze and most already drives do
support it. Even older ones.

   Run 'cdrecord --checkdrive dev=0,0,0'  and if you see
TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P RAW/R96R
.   ^^^^^^             (amend dev= to your CD drive)
   in the output, your drive does. That return is from my nearly
ancient Plextor 8432t. Looks like this effort has suffered a major
setback for Linux users now. Damn shame, 'cause I still believe
it's due to collusion by OEM ONLY's and M$, misinfomation and
ignorance on the part of users.  Any OS. Mandrake tried to get it
introduced into a current Linux distro, now they're get'n their
head bit off. Should be users rasin hell with Dell, Compaq, HP,
etc. and Billy Goat.  LG's just caught in the middle of those
crooks.  Search for the guilty, blame the innocent.