El lun, 10-11-2003 a las 12:40, Lanman escribió:
> Just curious about something. How many of the list members
> are using
> Linux in the workplace and how?

I was hired in a cybercafé last month. My job is to completely
migrate it to Linux. (gaming machines included).
Not an easy task as you can see, i've been working on desktop
installations
and config, as well as building an application
that controls all of them from one
computer and enables or disables
them as clients walk in and ask for
a computer.

So, Am i using Linux in the workplace?
hehe.. yeah, it's 100% of my job.

> I think it would be encouraging to see who's doing what
> with it, and
> which distro's, whether they're seeing
> an increase in business because of Linux and what
> interesting things
> they're doing with Linux.

We've got several e-mails and messages
from other places and shops that want to
take the plunge and start migrating to Linux
too, they mostly want to know "what" to
do and "how" exactly are we doing it...

> It might prove to be an interesting source of information
> for
> newbie's to know what can be done with Linux,
> especially when it's applied in a production environment.
> We see all
> kinds of articles regarding Linux, but
> it's very hard to contact those people to see how something
> was done,
> and what Tips 'n' Tricks were used
> to accomplish a particular task.

That sounds familiar :o)

> MandrakeSoft has a special site
> (http://www.mandrakebizcases.com ),
> that allows anyone to post their
> particular application of Linux, but for the most part you
> can't get
> the hands-on info from those companies
> or individuals.

We know. In fact, i was the one to suggest
(and IMPOSE ;o)) Mandrake for the
task. The day they gave me the job
interview they had already installed
two SuSE machines. One was the
first desktop, the other was the server.
The server is still using SuSE, as
i'm reluctant to fix something that
works, but all of the desktops
have now Mdk 9.1 (and one 9.2).

We have been talking to some
MandrakeSoft people over here
and there's  the chance that we also
become official Mandrake vendors.
As part of the arrangements, there
was the "success story", which
involved us being in one of
those articles. We're still thinking about
it.

> Is this something we could/should add to the Twiki site?
> Comments?

IMO yes.

Damian