Lanman wrote:

John; It's continous. But the components in the power supply onlyaccept what they can manageor what they're rated for. The battery keeps this feed stable, and as a basic nature of electricity, only supplies what is needed at the time. Since it's a batteryafter all, it simply continues to store whatever is available until needed, and is constantly recharged by the wall outlet.

So in a way, you could say that it is "Continous Stepping" that
occurs, whereby the battery is the only source of electricity to the computer, but it
can step up (or down ) the watts or amps to respond to the needs of the computer at
any particular time.

In any case, it acts as a buffer between your PC or electrical device, and the variable power that your power company can provide.

OK, things are becoming much clearer now.

I guess then you buy an UPS, plug it in, and plug your compuers into the
UPS.

So ought I to seek an UPS that can handle 3 computers(physically
awkward) , or should I buy 3 individual UPS , or more particularly one
to start with so that I can figure out how it all works.

I wonder what power supply size is minimal for one computer ?

John

--
John Richard Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]