On Sun, 2003-12-07 at 11:35, John Richard Smith wrote:
> Lanman wrote:
>
> > John; It's continous. But the components in the power supply
> > onlyaccept what they can manageor what they're rated for. The battery
> > keeps this feed stable, and as a basic nature of electricity, only
> > supplies what is needed at the time. Since it's a batteryafter all, it
> > simply continues to store whatever is available until needed, and is
> > constantly recharged by the wall outlet.
> >
> >So in a way, you could say that it is "Continous Stepping" that
> >occurs, whereby the battery is the only source of electricity to the computer, but
> >it can step up (or down ) the watts or amps to respond to the needs of the computer
> >at any particular time.
> >
> >In any case, it acts as a buffer between your PC or electrical device, and the
> >variable power that your power company can provide.
> >

> OK, things are becoming much clearer now.
>
> I guess then you buy an UPS, plug it in, and plug your compuers
> into the
> UPS.
>
> So ought I to seek an UPS that can handle 3 computers(physically
> awkward) , or should I buy 3 individual UPS , or more particularly one
> to start with so that I can figure out how it all works.

Best thing probably to do is to go with a Star Trek style Borg topology
with multiple redundancies; in other words seperate distributed UPS's.
That will reduce your wiring requirements while at the same time
insuring that you won't have all computers losing their backup power
simultaneously.

> I wonder what power supply size is minimal for one computer ?
>
> John

That depends on how long you would like the UPS to operate your computer
when the power goes out, as well as the power consumption of the power
supply and monitor.  If you want some operating time, I would suggest
taking into account the monitor's power requirements as well, so if the
power goes down you can see what you are doing for an hour or more.

LX

--
Linux Mandrake 9.1      Kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk