On Monday 08 December 2003 10:26 am, Derek Jennings wrote:
> Ohh you got me going there.
> As with so many other of Edison's 'inventions' the light bulb
> was not invented by Edison at all.
> The city of Newcastle in England had public electric lighting
> before Edison 'invented' the lightbulb.
> What Edison did do was perfect a longer lasting filament for
> the electric lightbulb.
> http://www.maxmon.com/1878ad.htm
>
> And no. We do not use 250V in Europe.
> The UK is nominally 240V 50Hz, while continental Europe is
> mostly nominally 220V 50Hz
> The reasonably short lengths of transmission lines, few
> electrical storms, and very tight regulation of the generating
> industry here means that the supply is rarely out of spec and
> damage to electrical equipment is rare. I personally do not
> know anyone who filters their computers power supply.
>
> derek

    Sounds reasonable.  BTW, my lightbulb remark was meant to be
tongue in cheek ;) Fact remains that residential power in the US
sux. Transmission into the neiborhoods is generally 440v 60Hz,
but stepped down to 110v for residential use. We'd be much better
off with European or UK style residential type systems. But it's
way too late to change now. An UPS is a must have here, to cover
brownouts more than outages. Particularly in rural areas.
--
      Tom Brinkman                 Corpus Christi, Texas