On Sunday 07 Dec 2003 12:42 pm, John Richard Smith wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> >We had a lot of problems where clocks etc seemed fine, where I
> > believe that the problem was very short-lived power drops.  Even
> > cheap surge protectors seem to help in that case.
>
> Is that so, could be then that is what happened  with me, I
> certainly felt it to be powersupply failure at the immediate time
> it happened.

It may be superstition <g>, but I also make it a rule that no-one
plugs anything of any size/power into sockets close to my computer.
Generally, the power supply for my camera is the only thing that ever
gets plugged into the second socket on the computer connection
socket.

> >British power companies do pretty well for general equipment's
> > needs, but computers are more delicate, and after troubleshooting
> > problems like yours for a long time, I've come to the conclusion
> > that they are simply not good enough without a little help.  It's
> > then just down to how affordable you can make that protection.
>
> Clearly , it's about whether I want to,
> a) UPS my attic power supply, running 3 computers, and surge
> protect only the one.
> b) surge protect all 4 computers, no ups.
> c) just accept the risks.
>
> But taking the first option ,
> How big an UPS do I need to protect a ring main running 3 computer,
> 2 printers and say 12 other minor devices like externel modems,
> calculators, yamaha sound keyboards,etc, et al.

I wouldn't put all of them on a UPS.  Surge protecters, if you buy
decent ones, will probably be adequate for all your printers, modems,
calculators and possibly even the keyboards, though since that is a
relatively expensive item you might decide that it would be wise to
put that on the UPS.

> I come back to the question, what is an UPS ?
> How does it fit in,
>
> I assume an UPS is basically a battery and a control device to make
> it all work.
> I have never heard of a 250V battery, so how is 250v stored ?
> Do you just plug the UPS in to the ring main ?
> Or do you have to break into the ring main circuit and install it
> in some way ?

John, electrics are not my 'thing' except in a practical way <g>.  You
plug in the main unit where your main computer was previously plugged
in.  The equipment you need to protect are then plugged in to the
back of the unit.  Mine, for instance, allows 4 items to be
connected.

The power goes to a battery, which is continuously drained by the
equipment switched on, and continually charged from the mains plug.
There is generally an audio signal if the power cuts out for any
reason, and most have some sort of indicator for if the power supply
in the battery gets low.  They really are simple to set up.

As for size to take 3 computers and a keyboard, try APC's site for an
indication, but when you've read it, come back with your ideas.
There's sure to be someone here with experience that can tell you if
you are on the right lines.  Looking at CCL:'s offerings, if you need
to go to 1.4Kva it would be cheaper to put individual 450Kva ones on
each system.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302