On Monday 08 Dec 2003 10:26 am, Derek Jennings wrote:
> >     Actually I thought the UK and most all of Europe was 250v.
> > The US probly would be too, but you need to remember we invented
> > the light bulb :)  And that was so long ago, and with competing
> > AC and DC distributions in the beginning, that now were just glad
> > it all finally got settled ... even tho were underpowered as a
> > result.  Too damn much to change out now to switch.
>
> Ohh you got me going there.
> As with so many other of Edison's 'inventions' the light bulb was
> not invented by Edison at all.
> The city of Newcastle in England had public electric lighting
> before Edison 'invented' the lightbulb.
> What Edison did do was perfect a longer lasting filament for the
> electric lightbulb.
> http://www.maxmon.com/1878ad.htm
>
> And no. We do not use 250V in Europe.
> The UK is nominally 240V 50Hz, while continental Europe is mostly
> nominally 220V 50Hz
> The reasonably short lengths of transmission lines, few electrical
> storms, and very tight regulation of the generating industry here
> means that the supply is rarely out of spec and damage to
> electrical equipment is rare. I personally do not know anyone who
> filters their computers power supply.

Except if you live in a rural or semi-rural area.  Some of power lines
are still overhead cables, and they are much more susceptible to
storms and suchlike.  The original supply may be clean, but between
the overhead lines and the definite possibility of interference from
motor startups (washer, spin dryer etc) I would definitely filter any
machine I depended upon.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302