On Monday 08 Dec 2003 10:30 am, John Richard Smith wrote:
> However I would
> agree that we in UK don't get much variable voltage, provided your
> domestic property isn't either in some remote country setting or
> perhaps sited next to some lonesome little industrial estate, your
> gonna get reliable voltage all the time.

Sorry, John.  This just isn't so.  I'm 5-6 miles south of Huddersfield
- hardly what you would call remote, and there isn't an industrial
site anywhere near here.

> But it's the spikes in
> current, and those computer crashes due to even momentary power
> cuts that are the concern for me. If I can protect my computer(s)
> with an UPS for a reasonable cost it's probably worth the
> investment to save time and trouble, but if the cost of an adequate
> UPS is too high, then I will have to accept the risks.

Momentary drops are more frequent that you would think.  How do I
know?  Well, it's not unusual for my UPS to signal me that it has
momentarily taken over, when not even the lights blinked!  You
certainly wouldn't notice it from clocks, etc., but it is enough to
harm your computer.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302