1. downloaded all the 9.2 rpms to a directory (including libs and qt3.2)
2. separated out those that I didn't want to install to a subdirectory
3. cd to the directory with the rpms you want to install
4. tested the remaining rpms with rpm -Uvh *.rpm --test
5. resolved the dependencies (some were in the excluded directory, some I had
to track down on rpmseek.com or rpmfind.net) by adding the appropriate rpms
to the directory and retesting.
6. installed with rpm -Uvh *.rpm
7. renamed original ~/.kde directory from 3.1 installation
8. restarted kde
(I boot to runlevel three so I start with startx rather than using a display
manager so I can't help with that piece)
This isn't as elegant as with urpmi, but in only took about 15 minutes (with a
fast internet connection to deal with #5), but I've had no problems since
installation.