On February 12, 2004 06:09 am, Dale Kosan wrote:
> So, has anyone been able to get it to work right? What steps did you use
> to do it? Thanks in advance....

First, I'd like to apoligise to anyone who took my advice when installing KDE
3.2. I made a serious Boo-Boo when i said that you could un-install your old
KDE 3.1 and install 3.2 instead.

I've just spent the last 4 hours fixing my own silly mistake, and now I know
better! Don't un-install KDE 3.1 !! Just install KDE 3.2 using Mandrake
Control Center>Software Management>Software Installer.

One thing to remember though, is that you should be running MCC from a
different desktop than KDE when you do this!!! I logged into GNome to do mine
and had no problems, but staying in the KDE environment while you're trying
to upgrade KDE is probably a bad idea.

Make sure that you've added your RPM source location to URPMI, and once you're
in the Software Installer, go to the "All Packages, By Group", and change it
to "All Packages, By Medium Repository". Once the list is displayed, you
should see your location for KDE 3.2. Open it up and start selecting the
packages you want to install, and install them.

That should work flawlessly, unless you try to force something that shouldn't
be installed. As soon as that's done, run MenuDrake to refresh your KDE
desktop menu listing.

I'm now running KDE 3.2 and it's running perfectly.

One interesting thing to mention is that these RPM's were recompiled by
someone ( VoidStar ?) who intended them for Mandrake 9.2, but they seem to
install on Mandrake 10.0 Beta 2 flawlessly as well, but here I did them as an
UPDATE ! For some reason, Mandrake 10.0 Beta2 sees these packages as being
newer that the ones it already has ! Grin!

Secondly, My ISP called me to let me know that I'm getting close to my monthly
limit, so I'm going to ask that anyone who has my FTP server as an URPMI
source to actually download the entire folder, instead of connecting when
needed. That way you can maintain your own set of packages for KDE 3.2 .

I'll be leaving it available for the next 48 hours, and taking it down on
Saturday afternoon, so please grab the files a.s.a.p. . Over 60 people have
logged in to grab the files, and I'm already over half of my monthly limit.

One final note - I've added a copy of CDBakeoven for those who would like to
give it a try. Only the one package is required as long as you've installed
the background software already - cdrecord, cdrdao, etc. from your CD's, and
I've also added a TexStar folder which contains all the packages to install
Mozilla with Java, Flash and RealPlayer, as well as their respective plugins.
You'll have to un-install the Mozilla, Epiphany and libnss packages that you
already have, but once you have the folder, just browse to the folder and run
"urpmi *rpm" and it will install everything by itself. If it complains about
bad or missing signatures, just ignore and continue the install.

These are original, untouched packages from TexStar, and unless you already
have his SIG file installed, you'll see the signature warning.  Keep in mind
that this will install Mozilla 1.4,so you're actually going to downgrade your
Mozilla browser, but all the plugins work, and the hassles of dependancies
shouldn't happen.

Lanman