[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 09:09 pm, Miark wrote:

Certainly it is the slowest program to kick in on my

machines. 4 seconds by my watch if nothing else is being loaded as well.
This machine has 512 MB RAM, but I just timed it on the one with half as
much, 256 RAM and it is the same. I don't know if that is fast or slow,
but it is fine by me.

4 seconds? Cripes, in KDE in 9.2.1 it takes me about a minute and a half! I have a 1.1 GHz Athlon, and a gig of RAM. I monitored it starting with top running, and the most CPU intensive thing running at the time was top itself at about 1%.

Miark

That does appear slow and surprises me. You are using OO.o1.1.0? I have never installed, for use, the Mandrake version, only ever the one from OO.org, into the place where Mandrake installs their version.

I've used both the tarball and the Mandrake RPM - no difference as far as I could see.

Might be worth checking bugzilla for OO, or perhaps it's time to upgrade to 10.0. OO, like most things, works faster in 10.0. I'm using OO (slowest Linux app ever) on KDE (slowest desktop ever) awnd it still opens in seconds on a comparable machine.

Sir Robin

--
“Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges.”
- Tacitus

Robin Turner
IDMYO
Bilkent Universitesi