On Tuesday 29 June 2004 18:32, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Hoyt Bailey wrote:
>
> > No luck whois not installed.  Isnt that for only local use.  That is
it
> > would tell me who was logged on to my domaine,  well I know that its
> > me. I did find a whois web site but didnt get any results since  I
dont
> > know what my ISP's name is unless its 'sbcglobal.net' which it
probably
> > is.  But that doesnt help since first I have to go to my dsl modem
and
> > it takes a long time to time out.  If I remove everything from
> > '/etc/resolv.conf'  It just gets replaced as is.  I dont understand
> > what I'm doing?
> >
> whois is for looking up information on domains.  who is for seeing who
> is logged on your local machine.
>
> As far as resolv.conf, if you are running DCHD, then the file should
get
> rebuilt with the information from your DSL modem.  But it is possible
> that you have overridden this.  Could you post the contence of
> /etc/sysconfig/networks,
and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0?
>   (Also ifcfg-eth1 if you have one.)  There are some logs in /var/logs
> that may help as well, but I don't remember exactly where Mandrake
puts
> things, and you don't want to post /var/log/messages!

Should I remove dhcp, since this is a single user desktop machine I have
no use for networking unless necessary for other things.  There is no
eth1.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] hoyt]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/networks
cat: /etc/sysconfig/networks: No such file or directory
[EMAIL PROTECTED] hoyt]$
cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes