On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 10:15:42 -0500
Hoyt Bailey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >  >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0?

> in /var/logs
> > >>

> > > Should I remove dhcp, since this is a single user desktop machine I
> have
> > > no use for networking unless necessary for other things.  There is
> no
> > > eth1.
> > >
> > No, you need it to configure the port to talk to your router.
>
> I don't have a router unless the DSL modem is acting as one.  It is
> supposed to have a firewall?
>

> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] hoyt]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/networks
> > > cat: /etc/sysconfig/networks: No such file or directory
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] hoyt]$
> >

> > Typo on my part - should be /etc/sysconfig/network
> >
> > > cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> > > DEVICE=eth0
> > > BOOTPROTO=dhcp
> > > NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> > > ONBOOT=yes
> > > MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no
> > > WIRELESS_ENC_KEY=""
> > > NEEDHOSTNAME=yes
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED] hoyt]$
> > >
> > One thing I forgot to ask you - does your ISP use PPPoE?  One way to
> > check this is in Windows run winipcfg and check what interfaces you
> > have.  If you are using PPPoE, someone else on the list can probably
> > walk you through the proper way of setting it up.
> >
> > Mikkel
> I don't have Windows installed but I don't think pppoe is involved.
> '/etc/ppp/resolver.conf' dosent exist the file '/etc/resolv.conf' does.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] hoyt]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network
> HOSTNAME=192.168.0.1
> NETWORKING=yes
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] hoyt]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> search domain_not_set.invalid
> nameserver 192.168.0.1
> nameserver 192.168.0.1
>
> I set this yesterday to the nameservers provided by sbcglobal but it
> always gets reset.  I need a way to put the right nameservers in this
> file instead of my DSL modem.

Hoyt,

My  /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 - which defines my local
network, yours _should look somewhat similar, being in mind that the
ip numbers may be different.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] lists]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.1.5
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
ONBOOT=yes
MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no
[EMAIL PROTECTED] lists]$

My local loopback network (ipcfg-lo) is defined like this:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] lists]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo
DEVICE=lo
IPADDR=127.0.0.1
NETMASK=255.0.0.0
NETWORK=127.0.0.0
# If you're having problems with gated making 127.0.0.0/8 a martian,
# you can change this to something else (255.255.255.255, for example)
BROADCAST=127.255.255.255
ONBOOT=yes
NAME=loopback
[EMAIL PROTECTED] lists]$

Yours should not be any different.

This is what I have in /etc/sysconfig/network

[EMAIL PROTECTED] lists]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/network
HOSTNAME=pilot.localhost.localdomain
NETWORKING=yes
GATEWAY=
[EMAIL PROTECTED] lists]$

And is what I would expect to see in yours, There's something not right
about your network setup (not wrong, just not right).

In just about every network setup I've seen HOSTNAME has been configured
as above ie. the name of the machine on the local network

Have you considered re-running the network configuration from Mandrake
Control Centre for both your local network and your DSL setup now that you
have the parameters supplied by your ISP

I don't have DSL (only dial-up) and my etc/ppp/resolv.conf contains
ONLY the following:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] lists]$ cat /etc/ppp/resolv.conf
nameserver 203.97.33.14
nameserver 203.97.37.14
[EMAIL PROTECTED] lists]$

While /etc/resolv.conf contains:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] lists]$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
search clear.net.nz localhost.localdomain
nameserver 203.97.33.14
nameserver 203.97.37.14
[EMAIL PROTECTED] lists]$

All of this stuff is initially setup when you do your network settings
during installation.

On my system /etc/resolv.conf is changed at every use, with
what appears to be the content of /etc/ppp/resolv.conf being appended with
a couple of blank lines then a commented line which says something like:
"# Temporary PPP," and then the content of /etc/ppp/resolv.conf.

The appended part is removed when I disconnect.

See if this helps any to nail it down, although I think re-running your
network configuration wizards might be simpler than trying hit and miss
edits to config files. But in saying this bear in mind what Tom Brinkman
showed you in his responses in another part of this thread.

Cheers

John