Hoyt Bailey wrote:
As far as resolv.conf, if you are running DCHD, then the file
should get rebuilt with the information from your DSL modem. But it
is possible that you have overridden this. Could you post the
contence of /etc/sysconfig/networks, and
>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0?

(Also ifcfg-eth1 if you have one.) There are some logs in /var/logs that may help as well, but I don't remember exactly where Mandrake puts things, and you don't want to post /var/log/messages!

Should I remove dhcp, since this is a single user desktop machine I have no use for networking unless necessary for other things. There is no eth1.

No, you need it to configure the port to talk to your router.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] hoyt]$ cat /etc/sysconfig/networks
cat: /etc/sysconfig/networks: No such file or directory
[EMAIL PROTECTED] hoyt]$

Typo on my part - should be /etc/sysconfig/network

cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes
MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no
WIRELESS_ENC_KEY=""
NEEDHOSTNAME=yes
[EMAIL PROTECTED] hoyt]$

One thing I forgot to ask you - does your ISP use PPPoE? One way to check this is in Windows run winipcfg and check what interfaces you have. If you are using PPPoE, someone else on the list can probably walk you through the proper way of setting it up.

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!