On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 12:14, Asa Rossoff wrote:
> JRH wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Bit of a good one this!
> >
> > I have 2 HDD's in my machine, and I want to boot from both Drives.
> >
> > My main drive (/dev/hdc) is where LiLo is installed.
> >
> > On my main drive, I have: hdc1: Windows 98SE, hdc5: /root, hdc7: /usr, hdc8:
> > /home.
> >
> > The second drive, contains Windows ME (dont ask!!), and DiskDrake sees it as
> > /dev/hda, and LiLo sees it as hda1.
> >
> > In theory, all looks like it should work. But it dont!
> >
> > When I boot, I select Win ME in LiLo, then I get a boot failure message
> > (something along the lines of invalid boot disk, please replace and hit any
> > key to retry- looks like it's BIOS initiated.)
> >
> > Swop the drives over, and it will boot into ME fine, so the OS is intact etc.
> >
> > Any Ideas?? or am I just hoping for too much? :-(
> >
> > JRH

Now I do my dual OS - dual HDD soulution with W2k, and it works like a
charm: Lilo and linux on HDD1, w2k mbr & OS on HDD2. Lilo can boot
either OS, and both drives can boot without the other drive's mbr.  But
back in the days of W98, I had w98 mbr & OS on HDD1, and lilo & lin on
HDD2, and I had a boot floppy to boot the system with.
I know.
Boot floppy?
In the 21st century?
This way though, if I took one HDD home with me (I did that a lot), I
could boot up from the other one without any hassle.  I never really
used the floppy drive for anything else, so at least it wasn't
redundant.
cheers
Andras