On Wed, 2004-09-01 at 06:55, Vincent Voois wrote:
> We've been talking about Linux security issues... i'm just wondering
> how many fool-traps are in there and how they can be
> recovered, i mention one:
>
> -bash-2.05b$ su
> Password:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] /]#
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] /]# chmod +444 -R *
>

> If anybody can see what is going on... i just changed all
> file-permissions to read-only on all files from the root.
> I was fortunate enough to do it in one of the var subfolders so i
> could quickly restore the damage i had done.
>
> I found this neat script that offers you to backup a file-permission
> state of the path's you supply, but it's a disaster
> recovery method and not a prevention tool against typo's:

Looks good.  :)  However this problem has happened before with many
other here (ahem) and I think that MDK will partially fix this if you
use msec.  Last time I used msec, I think it had some drawbacks for this
problem, such as it would not restore permissions for non-system-related
stuff.  Which would make your script superior for this kind of thing, so
I will definitely save this script for a deeper later look.

> (i also made stupid typo's like "chmod +spermbackup.sh", but this
> aside)

lmao

> I'm wondering how many pitfalls there are that one should be very
> cautious for and if one do falls in, how it can be restored.

The worst one I've ever done was what you did, but I did it worse
because  I was at /.  (!)

So I lost the perms for the entire filesystem.  Fortunately I've never
been at root and done anything like rm -rf.  Knock on wood. :)

LX