Hi All

As a user not a geek I have worked with and used Linux for some time but until
recently I have not had the opportunity of using my computers on anything but
dial up internet connections. Currently I have that opportunity. I would
purchase a book on networking except that I have several older ones which did
not help when I attempted networking several years ago. Likewise I find on
line Howtos impossible since there are so many contradictory ones addressing
different issues.

What I would like to do is network 2 linux computers so that one may copy
files from one to the other and possible other connections later such as
storing a data base on one that may be read by another.

Physically what I have is 2 computers 1 running Mandrake 10.1 and 1 running
Mandrake 9.2 [sorry this computer can not be upgraded to 10.1 with current
hardware and my current knowledge as that would mean network installation or
the purchase of additional hardware or CDs] connected together with a hub
which is also connected to an eithernet RJ45 line and the internet.

Each computer has internet capability and is fully operational in that I can
and do get web sites and e-mail to and from each. Neither computer can ping
the other.

First question: Do I need to install share? [Mandrake Control Center ->
Network & Internet -> Internet connection Sharing]

Second Question: How do I set up computers so that they maintain DSL
addressing and are able to ping eachother?

Third question: Would it be better to use a firewall/router instead of a hub
or would that add an unnecessary complication, which I do not need at this
time, to my networking attempts [attempts based on past failures]?

Thanks
Frank