On Thursday 24 February 2005 19:17, SOTL wrote:
> Each computer has internet capability and is fully operational in that I
> can and do get web sites and e-mail to and from each. Neither computer can
> ping the other.

Does computers have public or private IP addresses?
ifconfig from cli and look for "inet addr:"
if number after it lokks like 10.X.X.X or 192.168.X.X
then you have private addresses.

> First question: Do I need to install share? [Mandrake Control Center ->
> Network & Internet -> Internet connection Sharing]

No you do not need it.

> Second Question: How do I set up computers so that they maintain DSL
> addressing and are able to ping eachother?

They must bee in same subnet and workgroup.

> Third question: Would it be better to use a firewall/router instead of a
> hub or would that add an unnecessary complication, which I do not need at
> this time, to my networking attempts [attempts based on past failures]?

Fierwall is allways better linksys router would be a good start.

--
Yankl
Tiny IT guy.