On Friday 25 February 2005 00:17, SOTL wrote:
> Hi All
>
> As a user not a geek I have worked with and used Linux for some time but
> until recently I have not had the opportunity of using my computers on
> anything but dial up internet connections. Currently I have that
> opportunity. I would purchase a book on networking except that I have
> several older ones which did not help when I attempted networking several
> years ago. Likewise I find on line Howtos impossible since there are so
> many contradictory ones addressing different issues.
>
> What I would like to do is network 2 linux computers so that one may copy
> files from one to the other and possible other connections later such as
> storing a data base on one that may be read by another.
>
> Physically what I have is 2 computers 1 running Mandrake 10.1 and 1 running
> Mandrake 9.2 [sorry this computer can not be upgraded to 10.1 with current
> hardware and my current knowledge as that would mean network installation
> or the purchase of additional hardware or CDs] connected together with a
> hub which is also connected to an eithernet RJ45 line and the internet.
I doubt very much if your hub is directly connected to the internet.
You mean it connects to a DSL modem or router? Both computers seem to work, so
they must both have IP addresses, and something is performing NAT (Network
Address Translation) or else they could not both work at the same time.
Can you be more specific please?

> Each computer has internet capability and is fully operational in that I
> can and do get web sites and e-mail to and from each. Neither computer can
> ping the other.
If you have enabled the shorewall firewall then pings are disabled by default.
If you want to enable ping put
ACCEPT  net     fw      icmp    8
into /etc/shorewall/rules and restart shorewall

> First question: Do I need to install share? [Mandrake Control Center ->
> Network & Internet -> Internet connection Sharing]
No
If you want to share files between Linux computers and you are a KDE user the
'fish' protocol is ideal. See http://www.jennings.homelinux.net/kio_fish.html

derek

--
www.jennings.homelinux.net