On Friday 25 February 2005 12:37, SOTL wrote:
> > I doubt very much if your hub is directly connected to the internet.
> > You mean it connects to a DSL modem or router? Both computers seem to
> > work, so they must both have IP addresses, and something is performing
> > NAT (Network Address Translation) or else they could not both work at the
> > same time. Can you be more specific please?
>
> Local LAN is not mine, nor do I currently have access to which previously I
> did so I am going from memory.
>
> Earhernet line from ISP goes as you suggested to DSL modem which in tern is
> connected to [if I understand correctly] a switch [which could be a hub]
> which splits into 4 or 5 computer connections and to at least one
> additional switch [or hub]. Here is where I am vague. One of the lines from
> one of the first or second [I know not which] goes to a wireless router
> which is used to transmit signal from main building to secondary building
> where my current office is. Signal from wireless router is at that point
> picked up by internal wireless cards in 3 computers and by my wireless
> bridge. Bridge is connected to my 2 test computers with Mandrake 10.1 and
> Mandrake 9.2.

OK, So I imagine you are getting your IP addresses from your company DHCP
server. If you look at the connection info in Mandrake Control Centre you
should be able to see your IP addresses.

SNIP

> Fire wall was set to default in both computers at time of installation.
> Does that mean I have shorewall Installed and need the above modification.
> I just checked configuration on 10.1; firewall is set to off. Not certain
> on 9.2 box at this time but believe it to be same as 10.1 box.
If the Firewall GUI in MandrakeControl Centre is set to 'Off' then shorewall
is either not installed or active and you do not need this modification.

When the firewall is off each computer should respond to a ping if you give
the correct IP addresses.

> > No
> > If you want to share files between Linux computers and you are a KDE user
> > the 'fish' protocol is ideal. See
> > http://www.jennings.homelinux.net/kio_fish.html
>
> As I understand the instructions I need SSH running on both computers and I
> access remote computer by:
>
> fish://[EMAIL PROTECTED]/path/to/directory
>
> Here is where my lack of knowledge of Mandrake and linux enters. I have not
> set up either SSH or hostname. SSH may be set if and only if it was set
> automatically during installation.
To install ssh use the MandrakeControlCentre>Software>Install GUI and install
the packages openssh and openssh-clients
It will start running automatically. (You can confirm it is running in
MCC>System>Services)

You can use fish with either
fish://[EMAIL PROTECTED]/path/to/directory  or
fish://[EMAIL PROTECTED]/path/to/directory

Your Hostname is set in
MandrakeControlCentre>Network>Internet access

If you want to use hostnames to connect to a remote  computer your Computer
needs to be able to translate host names into IP addresses. You may have a
company DNS server which can do that for you, or else if your IP addresses
never changes you can put an entry in the file /etc/hosts which matches IP
addresses to host names.
/etc/hosts has the format
ip_address   hostname1 hostname2

where hostname1 and hostname2 are alternative hostnames for the same computer.

/etc/hosts is a system file and can only be edited by root user. If you are in
KDE hit Alt+F2 and enter 'kdesu konqueror' to get a root copy of konqueror
file manager.

If your IP address does keep changing, then it may be more convenient to use
samba instead of fish.
Samba allows you to join a Windows network, and you can pass files between
both Windows and Linux computers.

> Since I would imagine part of my ping issue is that hostname is not set and
> user name may not be [not sure if user name is same as login user or if
> this is different user name] lets tackle username and host name first. How
> do I set them up?
The user name is the login name.

> > derek
>
> Thanks for the help