On Saturday 05 March 2005 18:55, h k ball wrote:
> Kaj ...
>
> ... haven't given up on 6.0 yet, kind of a challenge ... have it
> working in partiton in CLI (you taught me that terminology) on my
> desktop (Intel32, 256mb ram, 700mH, 20 gb hd), now that I have
> 10.1 running in VMware on my new (AMD64, 500mb ram, 2.0mH, 60gb
> hd) laptop, with KDE running and Foxfire installed, my learning
> curve has accelaerated a bit, got more ideas for things to try on
> 6.0 to get KDE going ... mainly grinding through the 1000
> different possible configuration combinations using that old
> Xconfigurator ...
>
> ... 10.1 bombed out on my desktop in the first 30 seconds of the
> boot-up install, didn't like my disk drive partitions (old
> machine, badly chopped up with 6-7 partitons, been re-partitioned
> alot) ..
>
> ... my new laptop refuses to be partitioned by either my
> Partition Magic, or by 10.1 when I tried to install it from
> bootup, that's why I had to go the VMware route (very sluggish,
> but totally functional) ..
>
> ... so, think I can go back and squeeze in a small Fat32
> partition on my desktop, along the lines of your suggestion, but
> cannot for 10.1 on my laptop ..
>
> .. one thought - I'm on the internet in Linux through my wireless
> local LAN network just fine, could Windows send stuff to Linux
> over that LAN network ?

h k, you can let Linux (10.1) read the Windows NT file system but
not (safely) write to it.  If it's FAT32, no problems whatsoever.
But Windows cannot write to Linux (I think it can't even "see"
other filesystems than NT and FAT - but I'm not sure, have never
used Windows).

Another solution : If you have the dough, by an external USB hard
disk with at least one FAT32 partition.  Should be accessible from
either OS.

Glad you got the other things sorted out.

Kaj Haulrich.
--
*sent from a 100% Microsoft-free workstation*
         * http://haulrich.net *