From:   Mikkel L. Ellertson [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:   Friday, March 04, 2005 2:32 PM
To:     newbie@linux-mandrake.com
Subject:        Re: [newbie] How get from "dos" mode into KDE  mode?

h k ball wrote:
> ... Hi Kaj, Anne, Mikkel, Snap, et al ...
>
> ... I'm the newbie that showed up for the first time about 3 weeks ago,
was
> overwhelmed with your responsiveness, but was way over my head, and felt
> guilty ... have a confession to make ...
>
> ... back in 1999 I bought Mandrake 6.0 ($35), tried putting it on the
same
> machine with my Win2000, WinNT, etc, failed, gave up, put it on the
shelf,
> forgot about it ...then, what with my wonderful experience with Firefox
vs
> IE, etc etc, saw open sourcing in a whole new light, decided to try
again,
> found your newbie list, and, trying harder this time, got it running in
the
> command mode, and you all tought me a whole lot about moving around in
that
> environment, really valuable stuff ...
>
> ... but I was flying under false colors ... you are all 10.1 folks, with
> 10.1 problems and 10.1 solutions ... so I shut up, quit wasting your
time,
> got on Ebay, bought 10.1 for $6.00 (thought, "this is a dumb move") ...
3-4
> days later a small envelop arrived with 4 disks, nothing else ...
enlarged
> my Ext2, Swap partitions,etc ... total disaster, on two different
machines
> bombed out immediately on install  (thought "you got what you paid for)
>
> ... had been hearing alot about VMware, how you don't need to partition,
> etc, lo and behold, VMware has a 5.0 in Beta testing until Apr 29 !!! ...
> (I'm really really cheap) ...
>
> ... to make a 4 day story short, I have 10.1 running with a genaric VM
> video driver (nVidia card in my machine) at 1024x768, KDE up and running,
> have installed my beloved Firefox, things are fantastic !!! ... so now
> maybe I can legitimately ask you guys some questions:
>
> (1) ... if I'm going to migrate to Linux from Windows I need to transfer
> alot of files, there's got to be a better way from what I'm doing, which
is
> sending stuff to my webpage, then accessing/downloading them through
> Firefox ... any more direct way (haven't figured out how to communicate
on
> my office LAN yet) ... ???
>
> (2) ... operations and webpage downloads are verrrry sloooow with one
> exception, downloaded Firefox (8.2 meg) in 30 seconds (DSL) ... I suspect
> its the VMware's fault, but any tricks to speed things up ???
>
> ... again, I'm very appreciative and humbled  ...
>
> HK

I wish you would have told us you were running 6.0 - we could have
pointed you to where you could download the CD images for 10.1 for free,
or purchesed them fairly cheap. (You can download the first 3 CD's from
the Internet.)

Now, as far as transfering files between Windows and Linux, it depends
on how you are running Linux. If you are running it in a VMware window,
then you may want to create a share on the windows machine, and use
smb4k to map the share on Linux. You can alsu use the mount command from
the command line interface, but smb4k is probably going to work better
for you at this point.

If you are dual booting Windows and Linux on a machine, you can mount
the windows partition directly in Linux. In fact, the installer usualy
will set this up for you. Diskdrake will also do it for you. If you are
using the NT file system, then it will be mounted read only - you can
transfere files to Linux, but there are some problems writing to NT file
systems. (Has this changed?) There are no problems reading/writing FAT
file systems.

Depending on the nVidia card you have, 10.1 may work with it out of the
box, or you may have to install extra drivers. There have been a lot of
messages about this. I don't have personal experence with the cards that
require this.

As far as your install problems directly to the hardware, instead of
installing in VMware, we should be able to work around them. The bit
thing is to describe the hardware, and be willing to try a couple of
options during install. Most people don't need to do this, but some
hardware requires more effort then others... I usualy have less trouble
installing Linux then I do Windows, unless I have one of the restore CDs
for the machine that basicly restores a working image to the hard drive.

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!

 << File: message.txt >>