From:   Mikkel L. Ellertson [SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent:   Saturday, March 05, 2005 2:30 PM
To:     newbie@linux-mandrake.com
Subject:        Re: [newbie] How get from "dos" mode into KDE  mode?

h k ball wrote:
> Mikkel ...
>
> .... could only install 10.1(only paid 6 bucks, not too bad) on VM on my
> laptop (see my message just now to Kaj for the gory details) ... 1024X768
> working just fine without an nVidia card ...
>
> ... have been trying to figure out the smb4k alternative you suggested,
> read the manual, googled around, still no clue ...
>
> ... what is an example of a line of code I might try  ? (as root, I know
> that much)
>
> HK

On your laptop, the first step is to enable file sharing in XP. Then you
have to deside how much of your XP drive you want to share. You may want
to create just one directory for moving files between the two systems.
You may also have to make some adjustments on the firewall in XP to let
Linux connect from inside VMware. I think this is still covered in the
VMware documentation. In any case, it is the same as setting up XP to
share a directory with other machines in the local network. It also
helps if you use the same workgroup name in XT and smb4k. As a test, you
should be able to see the directory you have set up from your desktop
system when both it, and the laptop are on the same network. If the two
machines running Windows can not share files, then Linux running in
VMware is probably going to have problems as well.

A second way would be to configure Samba under Linux, and have it share
out a directory. You would have to use XP to transfere files between
this directory and the XP file system.

One quick way to set up a directory for sharing is to double-click on
the hard drive icon on the desktop, navigate to the directory you would
like to share. Right click on it, pick "Properties", and then "Local Net
Shating". You will probably have to enter the root password, and enable
this. It may also ask to install some packages. Let it.

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!

 << File: message.txt >>