Dennis,

Well, unlike a lot of Linux (relative) newbies, I can guarantee you that it
is not a winmodem.  It's a USR Sportster 28.8 EXTERNAL.  And I doubt that the
problem is in the modem itself as this modem works with Win9x.

The irq might be wrong, I've been spoiled by PnP in Win and have little experience
in the nuts and bolts of irq's and the like.

How do I tell if I have the wrong irq and, if I do, make it right?

Thanks for the suggestion,
Jeremy