On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Dennis wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 20:21:20 -0800, you wrote:
>
> >Dennis,
> >
> >Well, unlike a lot of Linux (relative) newbies, I can guarantee you that it
> >is not a winmodem.  It's a USR Sportster 28.8 EXTERNAL.  And I doubt that the
>
> Since its an external than all bets are off...<g>  No really...the
> problems I suspected would only be with an internal.

You can incorrectly access an external, just the same as internal. it
doesn't know the difference, 0x3f8,4 is 0x3f8,4 no matter what.

> >problem is in the modem itself as this modem works with Win9x.
>
> That is not a recommendation..<g>.   Seriously though, just because
> something works in windoze is definately not a guarantee its going to
> work in linux, simply because of the hardware intensive nature of
> lunux.  If a piece of hardware is even slightly buggy....linux will
> discover it.  Good example, though not a related piece of hardware.
> Had a cdrom....worked fine throught the install...boot up....and
> suddenly...not detectable or workable.  Put different cdrom in...works
> fine...put original back....not working.... but using that same non
> working cdrom in an NT box...works fine.
> >
> >The irq might be wrong, I've been spoiled by PnP in Win and have little experience
> >in the nuts and bolts of irq's and the like.
>
> The irq problem would really only apply with the internal modem since
> you woul be using a standard comport....

It's the same, you know where to look for what windows has it set as
(somebody said it), to get the settings from linux..

(root@Elminster)[extra/oxygen]-# dmesg|grep ttyS
ttyS00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
ttyS01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
(root@Elminster)[extra/oxygen]-#

this breaks down as
/dev/ entry, io, (yep irq), uart

> Hmmm...just had a thought.  If it could be a pnp problem...check in
> your bios and see if your comports irqs are set to be assigned
> automatically by pnp or if you have specific irqs assigned to the
> ports.

Yep yep. I use pnp only to get initial settings once it tells me good/free
numbers i hard set them so they do not change

> >How do I tell if I have the wrong irq and, if I do, make it right?
>
> Since I had assumed you had an internal....point is moot.

 , to an extent atleast (search the archives for "setserial", for the
newbie viewpoint at it)