On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 20:21:20 -0800, you wrote:

>Dennis,
>
>Well, unlike a lot of Linux (relative) newbies, I can guarantee you that it
>is not a winmodem.  It's a USR Sportster 28.8 EXTERNAL.  And I doubt that the

Since its an external than all bets are off...<g>  No really...the
problems I suspected would only be with an internal.

>problem is in the modem itself as this modem works with Win9x.

That is not a recommendation..<g>.   Seriously though, just because
something works in windoze is definately not a guarantee its going to
work in linux, simply because of the hardware intensive nature of
lunux.  If a piece of hardware is even slightly buggy....linux will
discover it.  Good example, though not a related piece of hardware.
Had a cdrom....worked fine throught the install...boot up....and
suddenly...not detectable or workable.  Put different cdrom in...works
fine...put original back....not working.... but using that same non
working cdrom in an NT box...works fine.

>The irq might be wrong, I've been spoiled by PnP in Win and have little experience
>in the nuts and bolts of irq's and the like.

The irq problem would really only apply with the internal modem since
you woul be using a standard comport....

Hmmm...just had a thought.  If it could be a pnp problem...check in
your bios and see if your comports irqs are set to be assigned
automatically by pnp or if you have specific irqs assigned to the
ports.

>How do I tell if I have the wrong irq and, if I do, make it right?

Since I had assumed you had an internal....point is moot.

>Thanks for the suggestion,

Not a problem...hope someone comes up with a solution for you.

Dennis