replying to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>Gary....what does "reload Linux" mean exactly?
    After each problem with WordPerfect and StarOffice I did a total
reinstall: partition, format, the works.

>Install of what, gave an '"install failed" at about 80% complete'?
    Sorry for summarizing to the point of loss-- Word Perfect (except where
previously noted) was in place, and the Star Office install stopped with an
"install failed" message at about 80% complete.  Trying to reboot showed that
the damage had already been done, again.

>Also, why is it so important to have Wordperfect in addition to Star Office
(or visa >versa)?
    I'm used to Word Perfect (and have a book about half-done with it) and I
like it.  I would also like to have a spread-sheet program under Linux.  I'm
dual-booting for now, but I'm so fed up with Win98 error messages, BSODs,
etc. that I can't wait to be done with it, and a spread-sheet program in
Linux is one less reason to have to continue with Windows.  I've never liked
Microsoft's operating systems: I used DRDOS and Novell DOS when there was
still a choice.  I looked seriously at Unix, but couldn't afford it sometime
shortly after the founding of the Free Software Foundation, well before the
Linux kernel was born.  Maybe some of you should put me out to pasture: I
learned wordprocessing with WordStar 2.2 on an Osborne tan case under CP/M.
I hex patched printer driver strings when I didn't know if that was supposed
to be a zero or letter O.  You knew I had to be some kind of crazy to install
Linux so many times, didn't you?  Seems crazy to me.  And I know my wife
thinks all of this is crazy; I think she's thankful it's this and not sports.
 -Gary-

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>     I've registered my copy of Word Perfect, and with my video properly
> configured again tried to install Star Office when Word Perfect was already
> in place, and it still corrupts Xwindows to the extent that I have to reload
> Linux to fix it.  Summarizing many installs of Linux and WP/SO: 1) generic
> video or fully configured makes no difference, 2) whether Word Perfect has
> had its registration number entered or not makes no difference, 3) hdparm
> either default or c3d1, and desktop configuration makes no difference, 4)
> whether other RPMs have been installed or not makes no difference, and 5)
the