Gary....so do you really need Star Office?  I ask because
whatever anomaly is causing this is getting you down and maybe
a compromise is the best way out.

Wasn't recofiguring X enough to fix things.  Did you look for
damage to the /etc/X11/XF86Config file?  Possibly backing this
file up before installing and restoring it when problems
occur?

I knew that the solutions I suggest are not remedies, but
patches and work-a-rounds. sorry I can't be a better help.

Alan

P.S. I bought my first computer in 1978, it was a TRS-80 Model
I with 4 K of ram and a cassette deck to load programs and
save data.  This was way before my first wordprocessor,
Electric Pencil.  :-)