I am a REAL newbie. I just installed Mandrake 7.1 last night. I have a
couple of questions. First, my system has 164Mb of RAM but Mandrake only
reports 64. During the install I tried to over-ride this and entered the
correct amount of RAM, but it still only reports 64Mb. How can I fix this,
or do I need to worry about it?

Next, how do I install software from TAR or GZ format? I know how to
install packages, but I downloaded a file in GZ format and opened it with
the software that came with Mandrake, but I could not figure out what to do
next? I mean in Windows there is always a setup.exe, but what about Linux?
I know I can extract these files, but I did not know what to do after that.
I saw no executables or installation routines. (See I am a newbie!)
Example, I have this file: so51a_lnx_01.tar so how do I install it? Once I
install it, does it automatically appear on the menu for execution?

Thanks....

Fred