On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, spooky wrote:
> > hi all:
> >
> > well I tried installing a software that has been proven by many scientists
> > to work w/ a PC windows, Linux and Unix systems.  I finished unzipping them
> > and untarring them and gave the command './configure and so forth' and guess
> >
> > what message i got....
> >
> > my gcc and C compiler is not working (?). any suggestions would be helpful,
> > I have LM 7.0 version.
>

> I had this same problem and it took me FOREVER to find out how to fix
> it....
>
> What I did was make sure that all the development libraries and kernel
> headres were installed. They should all be on your Mandrake CD.
>
> If you don't know what to look for, have no fear; the RPM's on the CD
> have VERY descriptive names.

 <RPMS dir on the CD> 'rpm -qpil *.rpm > '<whater dir you want
                                      the txt file in> /RPMS.txt

example:   < 'cd' to the /RPMS dir on the CD>  then (I) type
              'rpm -qpil *.rpm > /home/tom/RPMS.txt '

  *caution*  this will create a 5 to 7 mb .txt file (takes a minute
or 2), but it will include all the info and more that you see in
Kpackage for every rpm on the CD.  .... and you can use a txt
editor to search ;)   It will tho, show every one of 'em uninstalled
... 'cause they're RO on the CD ;)

 The ones with devel- in them should be
> development tools/libraries and the kernel headers should have the words
> 'Kernel-header' or something to this effect in their filenames.

    at MOU,   http://www.mandrakeuser.org/basics/bsource.html

  " Here comes a list of developement libraries which are most
often used and should be installed on every workstation: "

  <gives a list of all the packages you'll ever need to compile
   99.9% of everything including kernels>   These packages are
 included in every Mdk version's CD's, ie, they _are_ on your CD

  I depend on always choosing the 'development' option during
  install. you'll get all the above and more  ;-)

 --
~~   Tom Brinkman    [EMAIL PROTECTED]