On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> > > Next, how do I install software from TAR or GZ format? I know how to
> > > install packages, but I downloaded a file in GZ format and opened it with
> > > the software that came with Mandrake, but I could not figure out what to do
> > > next? I mean in Windows there is always a setup.exe, but what about Linux?
> > > I know I can extract these files, but I did not know what to do after that.
> > > I saw no executables or installation routines. (See I am a newbie!)
> > > Example, I have this file: so51a_lnx_01.tar so how do I install it? Once I
> > > install it, does it automatically appear on the menu for execution?
> >
> > Compiling from source: Every newbies nightmare.
>
> TELL me about it! I just did it for the first time about a week ago. It
> took me FOREVER to figure it out because MDK 7.02 didn't install the
> right development libs (or tools, for that matter) for me.

    http://www.mandrakeuser.org/basics/bsource.html

     MUO has all kinds of tutorials and 'walk-thru's.  This one
will show you what you need and howto extract, compile and install
most all source.  There's also a section on .rpm's, but for a more
extensive tutorial try  http://www.rpmdp.org/rpmbook/node1.html

   On MUO's main page you can also download the whole site in one
.tar.gz (~300k), updated monthly
--
~~   Tom Brinkman    [EMAIL PROTECTED]