On 13 Jun 00, at 21:47, Fred Hamilton wrote:

> correct amount of RAM, but it still only reports 64Mb. How can I fix this,
> or do I need to worry about it?

At the LILO prompt specify the amount of RAM. BTW, how did you get
164MB RAM on your machine? 128+32=160. Maybe, you don't have 164MB
RAM.Check.

> Next, how do I install software from TAR or GZ format? I know how to
> install packages, but I downloaded a file in GZ format and opened it with
> the software that came with Mandrake, but I could not figure out what to do
> next? I mean in Windows there is always a setup.exe, but what about Linux?

Read the manual pages for tar. In a terminal, man tar, or type tar --
help. That will show you many options. A .tar.gz package is a gzipped
version of the actual install files.

> I know I can extract these files, but I did not know what to do after that.
> I saw no executables or installation routines. (See I am a newbie!)
> Example, I have this file: so51a_lnx_01.tar so how do I install it? Once I
> install it, does it automatically appear on the menu for execution?

At the bash or what ever shell you are using, type
tar -zvf full_package_name. Then your staroffice application will be
untarred to a /opt directory. Go there and read the Readme files.
IIRC, there were options for a network or a single user configuration.
For help on installing staroffice, there maybe some help at
www.mandrakeuser.org. Anyway, man tar and read everything.

HTH
Sthitaprajna
            @mailandnews.com
Life is pain, Highness.
Anyone who says differently is selling something
        - Westley of "The Princess Bride"