> > Next, how do I install software from TAR or GZ format? I know how to
> > install packages, but I downloaded a file in GZ format and opened it with
> > the software that came with Mandrake, but I could not figure out what to do
> > next? I mean in Windows there is always a setup.exe, but what about Linux?
> > I know I can extract these files, but I did not know what to do after that.
> > I saw no executables or installation routines. (See I am a newbie!)
> > Example, I have this file: so51a_lnx_01.tar so how do I install it? Once I
> > install it, does it automatically appear on the menu for execution?
>
> Compiling from source: Every newbies nightmare.

TELL me about it! I just did it for the first time about a week ago. It
took me FOREVER to figure it out because MDK 7.02 didn't install the
right development libs (or tools, for that matter) for me.

> But here's how to make it better.
>
> First untar the .tar.gz file by typing "tar -xvzf the_tarred_file.tar.gz". This
> will create a new directory. Go into that new directory. Read the readme
> file in that directory, it should contain further and more exact
> instructions on how to install that particular program.
>
> But 95% of the time, the instructions will be the same. In that directory, type
> "./configure". This will check to make sure you have all the proper libraries
> installed. If you get an error in this step, take note of what your missing and
> look for it on rpmfind.net.

Excellent advice. If you have a slower connection (like mine, 56k), I'd
look on the Mandrake CD first. I found out that everything that
./configure has grumped at me for not having so far I found on my CD;
the RPM's have VERY descriptive names (THANK GOD : ))!

> Then install the missing file with "rpm -Uvh
> the_missing_file.rpm" as root.
>
> Once you get past the ./configure stage with no errors, type "make". This will
> compile the source, and might take a little while. Once make is done, "su" to
> root, and type "make install". Once it finishes that, the program is installed.
> Just type "the_program_name" to run it.

And, remember: if it doesn't work right and the docs don't help (which
I've found they don't with errrors you might have during compilation),
hit the lists or IRC. Oh, and another good thing that I've discovered:
hook up with local (or, if you live in the middle of nowhere like I do,
not-so-local) LUGs.  Read their sites and mailing lists.
Almost everything that I read in the lists belonging to LUGs in my state
is over my head, but hey: if you don't know it's out there you can't be
inquisitive about it.
: )

                                                                adam eubank