On Wed, 19 Dec 2001 15:46:00 -0900
civileme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>

> Ummm,
>
> Can you install windows on a linux machine using the windows installer?
>
> Seriously, there are safeguards all over the place, even in recommended mode.
>  You have to say "Yes, use the entire disk" to get the installer to wipe
> things unless you have the misfortune to own a drive that does not comply
> with ATA standards and it happens to be one that invokes a disagreement
> between the kernel and the BIOS about the CHS numbers.
>
> It may be inappropriate to flame a user who has had a learning experience to
> read the messages from the installer, but I think saying that it is bad
> programming may be a bit of a stretch.  Of course we learn something with
> each new distro and try to close as many holes as we can.  For example, many
> folks are mentioning trouble finding the "Update" button because they expect
> it to be a "Cancel" and don't even read it, so something may be changed on
> that screen next time.  Ergonomics isn't an exact science and Redmond doesn't
> have a monopoly on the right way to do things.
>
> At the moment we are having more bad results from veteran installers than
> 12-year-olds who have never seen an installer before.  So we are learning
> that there is a definite expectation induced by prior experience that may
> distort perceptions of users into assuming they see things they do not.
>
> Civileme

hmmnn,

  darn you civileme, is that your real name or just a nick? anyway the name fits and
the time has yet to come where i see you answer without much 'civility'. anyway, nice
to have someone like you around.

  for lee, this is a newbie list. being newbie-ish is a matter of taste. sure someone
calls someone a troll and a little heated emails come but in my opinion that is life.
not everybody has the same temper nor the same view on things. everybody can be
irritated for only so long that something 'flame'-like erupts from them. all in all i
still find this list informative, and most of the time entertaining. im not afraid to
ask something even i can get flamed. if somebody flames me wrongly then its their
problem and not mine. if everybody flames me then i think thats the time to
contemplate leaving the list or just changing the email and name (im desperate for
knowledge, ;-). i hope you wont leave as a newbie out there may need your help in the
future. you dont have to put up with the 'arrogance' of this list (or any other). the
delete key (alt+d in sylpheed) is in your fingertips.

ciao!

--

"Programming, an artform that fights back."

Anuerin G. Diaz
Design Engineer
25/F Equitable-PCI Tower
ADB Ave. cor. Poveda St.,