I found this tip on http://www.pclinuxonline.com/  I believe it is the
solution you want for reading emails at Hotmail.com.

BTW - Hotmail.com does not support pop3. The server used for Outlook
Express is an HTTP server with the address of
http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp Won't work in Kmail

Look for a file called *prefs.js* in your *.mozilla* directory

Open the file with a text editor

Place the following line at the bottom of the file

*user_pref("general.useragent.override", "Mozilla/9.0 (compatible; MSIE
5.0 ; Windows 98 )");*

Save the file and restart Mozilla.