Eric,

Please do "gcc -v" or "cc -v" and tell us what it says.  I have the following
4 line program:

        int main()
          {
          printf("Hello World!");
          }

It compiles and run properly, even without the normal "#include" files.  I am
using a straight Mandrake 8.1 installation and my version of gcc is 2.96
20000731.

Now let me say this.  My prompt is the normal, or default

        [pen@myhost dir]$

When I run the program what I see is:

        Hello World![pen@myhost dir]$

You should also be aware of one more "funny" thing that Linux does.  After
running a.out, the hello world example, As soon as I type something,
anything, then the hello world program output and my prompt line:

        Hello World![pen@myhost dir]$

is comes just:

        [pen@myhost dir]$

It looks like the program never printed anything at all.

Hope this helps.
/Pen