On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, Pen Gwynne wrote:

> Eric,
>
> Please do "gcc -v" or "cc -v" and tell us what it says.  I have the following
> 4 line program:
>
>       int main()
>         {
>         printf("Hello World!");
>         }
>----- snip ----------------------
> Now let me say this.  My prompt is the normal, or default
>
>       [pen@myhost dir]$
>
> When I run the program what I see is:
>
>       Hello World![pen@myhost dir]$

For a start you could try adding \n to the end of the string.  That should
separate the message and the prompt.
        printf("Hello World!\n");
> You should also be aware of one more "funny" thing that Linux does.  After
> running a.out, the hello world example, As soon as I type something,
> anything, then the hello world program output and my prompt line:
>
>       Hello World![pen@myhost dir]$
>
> is comes just:
>
>       [pen@myhost dir]$
Not sure I understand what you are saying, but any output from the
program will be buffered until the shell sees a newline.

--
Len Lawrence @ The Thistle Foundation