What warnings are you getting?

Anyway, you need to add a return value unless you change to function from
int main() to void main(). void main() is considered to be "bad"
programming though. Add "return 0;" as your last line in the main()
function. That will return the integer value of 0 (zero) to the system and
is required if you use int main(). The "int" in int main() means that you
are returning an integer value to the operating system. You should have a
statement of #include <stdio.h> at the beginning of the program, also.
Usually, a compiler will complain unless you include a header file with the
function prototype and the compiler normally complains if you declare a
function with a return value but don't provide a return value statement
within the body of the function (the data types have to match also).

At 05:52 PM 12/31/2001 -0500, eric wrote:
>Dear Pen:
>  I tried your 4 lines program, it still not print out even I use gcc -v
>or cc -v to compile, actually after the gcc -v I got a lot of junks
>waring.
>
>  Same thing, at bash it is not be printed, but it can be shown at csh.
>rpm -q gcc
>2.96-0.48mdk (probably straight from 8.0 standard edition)
>rpm -q bash
>bash-2.04-18mdk(straight from 8.0 standard edition)
>
>  you may check your bash in your 8.1 , is that same edition as mine in
>8.0?  may be that is the problem.
>
>eric, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>Pen Gwynne wrote:
>>
>> Eric,
>>
>> Please do "gcc -v" or "cc -v" and tell us what it says.  I have the
following
>> 4 line program:
>>
>>         int main()
>>           {
>>           printf("Hello World!");
>>           }
>>
>> It compiles and run properly, even without the normal "#include" files.
I am