On Sunday 20 January 2002 12:34 am, you wrote:
> I only responded to the first part of your message, sorry.   You normally
> would not have to put your printer into /etc/modules.  I believe it is
> compiled into the Mandrake kernel.  For example, the only thing in my
> /etc/modules is scsi_hostadapter and usb-storage, and Mandrake put both
> entries there for me.
>

> Joe
>
> On Saturday 19 January 2002 07:33 pm, you wrote:
> > On Friday 18 January 2002 01:27 pm, you wrote:
> > > Alsa is probably going to use whatever IRQ the card thinks it has.  I
> > > don't know that for sure, but I'm pretty sure you'll still have the
> > > same problem. Are you able to change the IRQ for your printer port
> > > through CMOS?  That might work or if you have a PNP OS setting in your
> > > CMOS, you might try telling it the oposite of what it's currently at.
> >
> > Dear Joe, I do not think using Alsa will make the difference either. I
> > changed the PNP stuff but nothing made a difference so far.I believe that
> > I can change the IRQ for the printer through CMOS however according to
> > all the files IRQ 7 has been used only by my printer so I am wondering if
> > it is a dma conflict instead as you suggested? How would I check the DMA
> > situation and how would I change it? From what I can tell there does not
> > seem to be a DMA conflict either but I probably would not know how to
> > tell if there was. Thanks very much for your help and suggestions.
> >
> > By the way, do you know how I would put my printer into /etc/modules so
> > that it could load?  I know that the devfs is different and I am not sure
> > how to correctly edit the /etc/modules file for everything.
> >

> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Marcia
Dear Joe and All,

Thank you Joe for your help and thank you Charles for yours as well as all
others who gave suggestions. After 2 months my printer, ethernet, and sound
are all working. I went into the Bios and went into the peripherals area,
changed the irq and ioport of the printer. I actually changed it to irq 5
which is for my sound but it made the difference and everything works. It
really does not make sense to me because the printer always used irq 7 before
without a problem. I am very grateful for the help. I tried many other
changes in the Bios which did not work but Joe's suggestion of changing the
irq for the printer in the Bios made things work. I am thrilled. I think that
it is and odd thing to have to do it but since it works I am not complaining.

Thanks again,

Marcia