I only responded to the first part of your message, sorry.   You normally
would not have to put your printer into /etc/modules.  I believe it is
compiled into the Mandrake kernel.  For example, the only thing in my
/etc/modules is scsi_hostadapter and usb-storage, and Mandrake put both
entries there for me.

Joe